Training pathways should always be started by mapping each staff member’s competencies. The mapping facility automates a complex and often overwhelming process that can fail if controlled by multiple training facilitators. Your organisation needs a platform that allows you flexibility to create your own competencies and will automate the mapping process to ensure each individual is being kept up to date. Put simply, excel and word docs are not the answer anymore and will only cause the process to be bogged down by manual data entry.
It’s important for organisations to have a consistency across departments and roles by developing a minimum competency standard that is to be adhered to across the organisation. This is vitally important to ensure that all existing and any new personnel have already achieved or are allocated the appropriate training to make them compliant with legislation and/or the minimum standard set by the organisation. Failure or unwillingness to map competencies may lead to the lowering of standards across the organisation.
The training platform should always allow each organisation to develop their own competencies and then be able to assign them to individuals, groups or even across the organisation. This creates a comprehensive overview of the organisations’ compliance standards and subsequent legislative status.
Elements that are necessary in the competencies structure to be customisable are:
- Renewal (compliant for how many days)
- Total number of staff allocated (automatic)
- Total number of staff compliant (automatic)
- Total number of staff non-compliant (automatic)
- Adding individuals, groups or the whole organisation to a competency
- Creating a list showing elements
- Being able to export the list
- Ability to send an email to every member of a particular competency
- Drawing reports
- Tracking if documents have been sighted
- Ability to upload a document on the competencies
Competency mapping is an essential element of any successful training platform. Having this element incorporated into your corporations’ platform whether it be online, offline or via third party suppliers, is important to the ultimate success of your organisations training requirements.
For more information on the competencies functionality, check the help pages in the Manager interface.